Thursday, August 18, 2011

Peachy Green Bean Salad


The more I learn about processed food, the more I try to stay away from it. In doing so, I've discovered that when combined correctly, many foods in their natural state are amazing! And since I like to know what I'm putting into my body, I try to prepare my food as often as possible.

There aren't too many things I don't like which allows me to get pretty creative with my food. Drew refers to it as "the weird things I eat." So you can understand my surprise when a co-worker suggested that I blog about my food so that she can try my recipes. What?!? Really? OK, why not? And ta-da! Holy Chef! was born.

Disclaimer: Drew likes his food very simple. I'm pretty sure that the meals I prepare for myself aren't that weird. So don't be disappointed if any of the following recipes seem quite common or normal. 



Since I try to spend as little time as possible preparing Drew's and my lunches for work, I like meals I can make large quantities of so that I am set for the week. All I have to do now is pull out this bowl, scoop a little into a tupperware, and voilà! My lunch is ready!


I found this recipe in a Better Homes & Gardens magazine. Since I didn't have the full pound of green beans the original recipe asked for, I improvised by adding edamame and chicken. I like this salad because not only is it light with a sweet crunch from the peaches, but it can be eaten hot or cold. 


Bon Appétit,
Alex


Ingredients:

  • 2 cans white meat chicken breast
  • 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 cup shelled edamame
  • 1 tsp snipped fresh rosemary
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 large peach, slightly firm
  • 1 & 1/2 tbsp lime juice


Directions:

  1. Boil edamame according to directions, drain, and set aside.
  2. In a 12-inch skillet cook onions in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or just until beginning to soften. 
  3. Add green beans, rosemary, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 7 minutes.
  4. Add chicken and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and toss in peach slices, edamame, and lime juice. Serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment